Monday, June 20, 2011

Best Market in South America?

Markets are a big part of South American culture, from San Telmo in BA to Polvos Azules in Lima, markets prevent the perfect place to buy gifts, meet the locals and absorb the culture. Often however they are tourist traps and as authentic as Chinese takeaway so here is my opinion on the best market in south America

Forget about the witches market in La Paz, about 30 mins and 30 cents in bus or 15 minutes and 30 Bs in a taxi outside of la paz brings you to the mercado 16 Julio, at el alto, on Thursday and Sunday this is a heaving market with stunning views of La Paz the market has just about everything from turtles to car parts. But for me its a second hand clothes fans dream, shirts, jackets, suits, t shirts leather jackets, all for rock bottom prices.
Spectacular views on the journey to the market
Shirt $1, Shoes $1.5
Stools included piles of American football shirts, suits and shirts, T shirts, Knitwear, Jeans and hundreds of casual shirts. I bought check shirts for $1.50 American football jumpers for $0.75, t shirts for $1 and a collection of 80s style jackets for the upcoming fancy dress party all for $1 each. I came back another day and stocked up on knitwear for around $1 - $2 a piece and then i found a stool with designer aftershave bottles all old and haggard and only about a quarter full but for around $1.5 and then another $2 I bought 2 bottles and i am sure it was genuine most probably stolen items.

Navigating around this market is difficult as it is so huge and being high up it really takes it out of you, the sun is also a factor and I came back like a tomato the first time I went. The locals told me not to go as it was dangerous and I am sad to admit that one of the girls I was with had her purse taken with all money and cards in, which blighted the whole thing. I advise people to go here but to exercise extreme caution and only bring what you are prepared to lose. But don't let this deter you from stocking up on some absolute bargains!

Happy Shopping

No comments:

Post a Comment